Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Freedom

I find ideas about free will to be very interesting. The philosophical definition of freedom is the power to do otherwise; that is, when we make choices, the ability to choose alternatively. A good illustration of this is a picture of a path with different forks in the road. The path itself symbolizes life, and the forks in the road symbolize times when we have choices to make. When we reach a decision, we choose the direction and follow along that path.
Thinking about the illustration, a thought comes to mind. What if it doesn’t matter which route we take? What if all routes lead to the same destination? For a quick example, say a high school senior reaches a “fork in the road” and needs to make a decision about which university to apply to. Then, say whatever school he chooses, and whatever major he decides to pursue, his future ultimately holds that he will eventually graduate and end up working at the same location under the same boss. I can literally think of countless scenarios in which this “ultimate destination” might take place.
The question I pose is this: if we are to reach certain “forks in the road” and decide which route to take, and if all routes ultimately lead to the same destination, are we still free? We do still get to choose how to get there, but we don’t get to choose where we end up. If one were to somehow prove that we all reach a guaranteed destination, could they disprove freedom? There is at least one destination we can’t avoid – death. This is just food for thought.

2 comments:

  1. hmmm.. the issue of free will is thought provoking. I don't think that I would readily accept your illustration of forks on the road leading to the same place. I would like to think that all the decision i've made in my life don't lead to the same place. That would be terribly discouraging. But if they did then I hope its a good destination.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I could talk for hours on this subject, and I'll probably end up blogging about it. But, for the moment, I will go ahead and sum up my views. I do not believe in free will. I believe free will is an illusion, created to help us function in the world. It's the driver, without which, we as programs could not operate in the system of the world. Practically speaking, it is impossible for a man to live his life as though he has no free will. But theoretically, I do not believe it exists.

    ReplyDelete