Monday, May 10, 2010

Introduction

Hello fellow bloggers/philosophers/classmates. My name is Derek Torres. I know that we were supposed to write our introductory blog about a semester ago, but better late than never, right? I started out my college experience as a business major, but quickly discovered that I had no interest in it whatsoever. My major was Sports Sponsorship and Sales because I love sports. Unfortunately, I soon realized that the criteria was actually more like straight “Sponsorship and Sales.” They pretty much took sports out of the equation. So, I thought about what I actually like. I took a few philosophy classes because I thought they would be interesting, and found that philosophy was basically the only class I was interested in. So, I switched my major to philosophy and have not looked back.
As many of you know, philosophy majors do not exactly have a straightforward path to any specific career. They say it will either take you anywhere or nowhere. I figure the most viable options for philosophy majors are either to be a professor… or a lawyer. I think I am going to go with the latter. I am pre-law and I plan to take the LSAT this coming fall. I bet many of my fellow classmates are probably in the same boat.
Anyway I love philosophy amongst many other things. I enjoy basically any kind of physical activity – sports, cliff jumping, floating rivers, working out, running, the outdoors, etc. I also like to just chill with my friends and watch TV (mostly sports; can’t wait for the World Cup this summer!), watch movies, play videogames, listen to music, etc. I also like sleeping, travelling, hot-tubbing, and going out to new places. I used to love to get drunk and high and party all the time, but then I found Jesus and He changed my life. He is REAL and GOOD to have around. If any part of my blog posts are taken with a grain of salt, let it be the previous sentence.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Derek, I believe we are all in the same boat for the most part in terms of initiative with the blogs but who knew a brief description could be so insightful in terms of an introduction. I appreciate the fact that you explored a major before simply diving in, when I came to Baylor I was a Biochemistry Pre-Med Major, it was miserable and truly not something for me. However it took me until the first semester of my Junior year to realize this. I hope you find everything and more with Philosophy. Anyways its 8:54, I just woke up and I have a few more blogs to do.

    Have a great Summer,
    Chris

    ReplyDelete